In this post I want to focus on how I was able to upcycle a too small skirt into one which fit me. I found this skirt at my local op shop for $4. It was a good 2 sizes too small, but the print was so pretty that I found it hard to leave without it.
Which then begged the question of what am I going to do with it! I posted the question up on Instagram; there were loads of suggestions, such as adding panels, adding a whole new front or back, and even turning it into a cape! So what did I do?
Adding a couple panels in a complimentary pattern seemed like the best course of action, and meant I didn't need to fiddle around with the zip either. Originally I tried to find a good material and pattern from another piece of clothing from an Op Shop, but didn't come across anything I was thrilled with. In the end, I bought a beautiful dark pink plaid material from Lincraft. At $12 it was more than the skirt itself, but it went so gorgeously with the floral and houndstooth of the skirt.
I unpicked the sides of the skirt, including the lining, and ended up with two pieces. With the plaid material, I then cut one piece which included the material for the waist band, and wider at the bottom of the material to give it some body and flow as with the rest of the skirt.
With the sewing machine, I built the skirt again with the new panels, added the waist band and hemmed the bottom. Took me a good hour or two, with most of the work in the cutting of the fabric and pinning it in place.
It's not uber pretty underneath, I would like to improve my sewing skills so I know how to finish the inside as well as the outside, but that'll come down to practice I think!